Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Define Stalking...


Stalking: to pursue obsessively and to the point of harassment.
Since the advent of Facebook, the usage of the term “stalking” has risen dramatically, and accompanied with that comes a load of new connotations. Think about it.  I know that in high school the word was reserved for guys creeping my lady friends out by following them, making harassing comments, and other rightfully condemned behaviors. Today, by running into a girl twice or so in one day, a good-natured guy can be called “stalker”. Bring in Facebook and you have a whole new world to apply this label to. I mean - heaven forbid that you mention a status update of an acquaintance, for although it appeared on your newsfeed, you’re a Facebook stalker.

 Now before you all start shouting “sexist!” let me also say that guys over generalize this word as well. A girl sits near you, comments on your Facebook, and strikes conversations with you often – then obviously she’s either stalking you or she is going to be a potential next girlfriend. 

I’ve heard a phrase, “What’s the difference between your boyfriend and your stalker? You like your boyfriend.” Well, I hope by definition that your significant other isn’t “pursuing [you] obsessively and to the point of harassment” because that is just wrong. (I’m pretty sure that kind of behavior is not conducive to a healthy relationship. Just saying)

I guess I’m just tired of “crushing on someone” = “stalking”, and “browsing extremely public information” = “stalking”, “having a good memory regarding conversations with that person” = “stalking”,  …need I go on? Honestly I haven’t met that many stalkers and honestly “stalking” is (at least in my book) pretty far from a term of endearment. And let’s get real, if you were attracted to the person you probably would be flattered and excited, instead of handing out the stalker sign. 

FYI: No one has called me a stalker. This post was prompted as I recalled multiple conversations and debates that I’ve had with roommates and friends. To make sure I’m not a hypocrite, feel free to “Facebook stalk” me as much as you want. I put the info up there, I set the privacy settings, so if you make it through without having to circumvent any system or “pursue obsessively” then heck, have fun.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. I have the same opinion about the word stalking. People use it way too often and it has such a negative connotation to be used so freely. I especially see this with Facebook if you so happen to mention to someone something you saw on their Facebook it's considered a bad thing. People put that up there for others to see and it comes up on my news feed so I will most likely see it! Anyway, that's my two cents on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you vocalized about something I think a lot of people (I) agree with you on.

    People have stopped knowing what a strong word means before using it, and not just with "stalking."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke sent me this link to a hilarious comic, oh so priceless: http://www.thedoghousediaries.com/?p=1042

    ReplyDelete